If you can just appreciate each thing, one by one, then you will have pure gratitude - Suzuki Roshi -

Wednesday, November 28, 2007

A Local Leader

I had a meeting with a local political official today about an urgent and acute issue facing our community. The official was open and honest in his communication. He was creative and innovative in his thinking about solutions. He clearly did not think he already knew all the answers and genuinely sought out ideas. He asked for help and for resources.

I came out of the meeting wanting to offer him anything I could to support him as a leader in solving this problem. I was energized to give. I am excited to do all I can. What a difference his attitude and approach made for me. He is very intelligent but it is not his intelligence that makes him a great leader. It was asking me to contribute and knowing that my contribution will be valued.

Thank you.

No comments: