If you can just appreciate each thing, one by one, then you will have pure gratitude - Suzuki Roshi -

Sunday, November 4, 2007

Working outside today

Bobbi and I worked outside the house today. I raked leaves and cut the grass. But this year was different. This year I planned to put the leaves in my new compost bin and I was using my new push-mower.

Because of this I do think I felt different about the work. I felt that the work was part of the cycle of earth and the season. Returning dead leaves to become humus. Using my own power and not that of a gas engine to trim the grass and leaving the clippings on the yard to decompose. This is a way of being in harmony with the way things are.

Power is not a human trait that takes us anywhere near happiness; mindfulness of the way and discipline to be in harmony are. Good times.

No comments: