If you can just appreciate each thing, one by one, then you will have pure gratitude - Suzuki Roshi -

Saturday, February 23, 2008

Late February Fire

Building this fire in this my stolen time,
does give me satisfaction; as I shall tend
the flame, shall add more wood and move it so
as just to burn a way allowing rhyme.

Late in February my mind’s toward Spring;
talk of gardening both afternoon and eve.
Yet snow fell lightly down just Thursday night
and sunshine’s melt’s left to imagining.

So much more the joy this fire excites
in me as winter wanes yet warmth now lacks.
So I shall tend and call upon the flames
for every need illumined in her light.

What needs? The sight for temporary times;
A heart to burn away all fears; a voice
for calling in the Spring; and, whispering,
faith in the flames when fears freeze heart and mind.