If you can just appreciate each thing, one by one, then you will have pure gratitude - Suzuki Roshi -

Saturday, May 10, 2008

Traction in my mind

I spent the day with Bobbi here in New York City exploring some of Staten Island. We took the subway, the ferry, two buses and our feet to visit the Staten Island Botanical Garden (http://www.sibg.org/) and Alice Austen's house (http://www.aliceausten.org/). (The Chinese Scholar's Garden at the SIBG is a must.)

I'm not by nature an adventurous traveller without a car. Although I found out in England last fall that I'm pretty cool with it when out in the country. The urban intensity sets me off my mark, so to speak. Bobbi then becomes the guide and she is a fantastic one.

What I find out in these situations is that it's great to give up decisions to her and just enjoy the trip. As I said, I'm more accomplished at this in certain environments over others. What I do know is that when I can let go of the story that I automatically bring to the situation, "I don't do well travelling in the big city", other stories come up, get created, gain traction in my mind. I like that.

Be well.

No comments: